Pleading Your Case: How To Deal With Your Insurer When You Have A Claim

Your insurance policy should cover the costs of damages or repairs necessary in the case of accidental damage to your property or car.  Most people making insurance claims are satisfied with the service of their insurance company.  If, however, your insurer refuses to pay or won’t pay as much as you expected from your homeowner’s or auto insurance claim, keep a cool head, plenty of written documentation and, if necessary, enlist help to plead your case.

The following is a guide to assist you to receive what is covered by your insurance from your insurer:

 ·        Keep an accurate record – It is very important to save copies of every letter, receipt or other paperwork involved in your claim.  Keep a journal of all actions taken, including telephone calls, etc. – be sure to note the name of the person(s) you spoke or wrote to, when contact was made, what was said, when to expect results or when to follow-up to obtain results.  Once you receive a response from the company, whether you are satisfied or not, request written confirmation.  The more accurate your record keeping the better your chances of receiving satisfaction for your claim.

 ·        Take it to the top – Do not hesitate to take your complaints to supervisors or the complaint division of your insurance company.  If you have kept complete records and present your position in an accurate, professional, rational manner you may succeed (provided you are not asking for more than you are entitled to by virtue of your insurance policy).

 ·        Department of Insurance – If you have exhausted all alternatives available through your insurance company you have the option of contacting the state regulatory authority for insurance.  Each state has a regulating authority that governs the operations of insurance companies.  A complaint can be leveled against your insurance company through the department of insurance, which will be forwarded to your insurance company, giving three weeks for reply.  The department of insurance cannot force your insurance to pay the claim, however about quite often consumers do prevail through this process and at the very least, will receive a written opinion from the state that may be useful if litigation is pursued.

·        If your claim is under $2,500 and you have been unable to get satisfaction in any other arena, it may be time to try small claims court or mandatory arbitration.  Seek advice and direction from a legal assistance attorney regarding this process.

·        If it is necessary for you to seek a civilian attorney, this attorney should be able to tell you how strong your case is.  These types of lawsuits are often taken on a contingent basis for attorney’s fees, which means that the attorney will take a percentage of any settlement, rather than an hourly charge for services.

Article source: NLSOGlakesHowtoDealwithInsurer.htm

Click here to return to our homepage